South Dakota State Historical Society
Archaeological Research Center
Archaeology on the Web
There are thousands upon thousands of web pages devoted to
archaeology. Here are a few to get you started:
- Wikipedia is
an online encyclopedia created by thousands of users worldwide. This page
is the portal into the archaeology section By way of example, here is a link
to the article about the Clovis
- a good all-round source for archaeology web page information for the whole
planet. The site has bounced around from host to host for the last few years
and is now hosted at Arizona State University.
- This large site is arranged like many web portals, offering links to a variety
of archaeology-related subjects, news, jobs, book reviews, and much more.
- Speaking of web portals, Yahoo! is a good place to start, too.
- The Society for American Archaeology's web page.
- The home page for the Plains Anthropological Society. Links to many regional
Dakota Archaeological Society
- Information about the activities of the South Dakota Archaeological Society
- The Archeology Lab at Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- USD Anthropology
- The Anthropology Department home page at the University of South Dakota.
- National Association
of State Archaeologists
- This page lists the state archaeologists for each state and how to contact
- A very nicely done page describing the ancient rock art at Chauvet, discovered
in France in 1994. It's part of the Great
Archeological Sites pages put out by the French Ministry of Culture. While
you're at it, check out the page on the Cave
at Lascaux, it's a really cleverly done page. You will need the latest version of
Adobe Flash for
your browser to see this site at its best.
- New archaeometric evidence on the structure of one of Stonehenge's contemporaries.
This is part of a larger site on English archaeology.
If you come across any archaeology web pages you'd like to share with others, please
, and we'll post them.
2425 East Saint Charles St., Rapid City, SD 57703 Map or PO Box 1257, Rapid City, SD 57709-1257 | Ph. 1-605-394-1936 Fax 1-605-394-1941
If you would like to comment on this web page, send an email to
© 1996-2012 S.D. State Historical Society Archaeological Research Center