South Dakota State Historical Society
Archaeological Research Center
An Arikara Pot from the Lewis and Clark Site
This vessel was excavated at Lewis and Clark village on the Missouri River in
Corson County, South Dakota. It is also known as Leavenworth village. The
village is the last village built by the Arikaras in South Dakota and was
visited by the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1804. The village also gained
notoriety as the site of the first battle between the U.S. Army and the
Indians in South Dakota, when it was attacked by a combined force of
soldiers, fur traders, and Lakota Indians under the command of Col.
Leavenworth in 1823. By the early 1830s the Arikara had abandoned the village
and moved north into North Dakota.
This vessel clearly shows the marks left by a grooved paddle used to shape
the clay. The rim is unusual in that it is not decorated.
217 Kansas City St., Rapid City, SD 57701 Map or PO Box 1257, Rapid City, SD 57709-1257
Ph. 1-605-394-1936 Fax 1-605-394-1941
If you would like to comment on this web page, send an email to
© 1996-2014 S.D. State Historical Society Archaeological Research Center