News and Events
- New HACS artifact cataloging software
- We have a new version of the HACS catalog system. It is an MS Access 10 database application: hacs-4.0.zip. Just download and unzip it. An instruction manual is included: HACS 4.0 Instructions.pdf. Note: these instructions refer to using the app on our local server (N: drive). You will be placing catalog files at whatever location is convenient to you. It should also be noted that this app is for MS Windows only, and you must have a recent version of MS Access to run it.
- Educational Series Scans
- Back in the 1970s the University of South Dakota Archaeology Laboratory received a U.S. Park Service grant to develop a series of short documents about South Dakota archaeology for students. These documents, entitled the Educational Series, have been out of print for a number of years. We recently scanned a set and have made them available for download.
- Ray Long Site report available
- The Bureau of Reclamation has asked us to host a pdf version of the investigations of the Ray Long Site (39FA65) undertaken on their behalf by the Archeology Lab at Augustana College. Three volumes are available:
The Archeology, History, and Geomorphology of the Ray Long Site (39FA65), Angostura Reservoir, Fall River County South Dakota, Manuscript I, Volume I: Cultural Resources Report.
by: L. Adrien Hannus, R. Peter Winham, and Austin A. Buhta (with contributions by Kimball Banks, James Kangas, and Renee M. Boen)
The Archeology, History, and Geomorphology of the Ray Long Site (39FA65), Angostura Reservoir, Fall River County South Dakota, Manuscript II, Volume I: Cultural Resources Report.
by: Austin A Buhta, Rolfe D. Mandel, and L. Adrien Hannus
The Archeology, History, and Geomorphology of the Ray Long Site (39FA65), Angostura Reservoir, Fall River County South Dakota, Manuscript III: Cultural Resources Report and Appendices.
by: Austin A. Buhta, Bruce A. Bradley, Marvin Kay, L. Adrien Hannus, and R. Peter Winham (with contributions by Renee M. Boen, Jessica Bush, and Heidi Sieverding)
If you have an event you would like to add to the page, let us know at
To expedite the process, please be sure to indicate that you wish your announcement
to be included on the events web page. Include contact information including
name, phone, and email address.
217 Kansas City St., Rapid City, SD 57701 Map or PO Box 1257, Rapid City, SD 57709-1257
Ph. 1-605-394-1936 Fax 1-605-394-1941
If you would like to comment on this web page, send an email to
© 1996-2014 S.D. State Historical Society Archaeological Research Center