The Continental Congress appointed an Adjutant General of the Continental Army in 1775. After 1783, no provision was made for such an officer until 1792 when an act provided for an adjutant who was also an inspector. In 1821, the departments of the Adjutant and Inspector General were placed under separate heads. The Adjutant General's Office has been in continuous existence since 1821 except for the brief period 1904-1907. The duties of Adjutant General included matters relating to command; discipline; recruitment; administration of the Military Establishment; recording, authenticating, and communicating the orders and instructions of the Secretary of War; issuing commissions; and compiling various army registers and directors.
900 Governors Dr.
Pierre, SD 57501