Calendar

This online calendar of events emphasizes educational, archaeological, preservation, and history related programs throughout the year across South Dakota. Green entries denote activities at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. Blue entries denote off-site activities sponsored by the SD State Historical Society and/or the Historical Society Foundation. If you would like to submit an event to be included on the calendar, please complete and submit the following form: Events form, PDF or Events form, Word.

June 2013

Event: Furniture: The Fancy & the Functional Exhibit
Description:
The exhibit examines furniture found in the home, and what one can learn from a careful study furniture today and in the past.   Interpretive signage, graphics, and advertisements demonstrate an evolution how our homes have changed over time and the impact that change made on the design, function and construction of furniture.  From a famous wooden desk to a metal dinette set, the artifacts on display come from the permanent collection of the Museum.  Hands-on activities and videos help bring the story to life. 
Location:  Cultural Heritage Center, Hogen Gallery, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Time: Mon.-Sat. 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Sun. & Holidays* 1-4:30 p.m. CT
Admission:  Members free; Adults $4, Seniors $3, 17 & under free (Free to all on the 1st Sunday of every month)
Sponsor: South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3458, web: history.sd.gov/Museum
* The Cultural Heritage Center is closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Event: SD State Archives Open
Description: The State Archives is open every 1st Saturday of the month. Staff will be available to assist with research. The State Archives manages a collection of photographs, films, maps, books, newspapers, state and county records, as well as personal and organizational records.
Location:  Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time: June 1, 2013; 9 a.m to 4:30 p.m. CT
Admission:  Free
Sponsor: South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3804, e:mail archref@state.sd.us, web: history.sd.gov/Archives

Event: Free admittance to the Museum of the SD State Historical Society
Description:
Admittance to the museum is free the 1st Sunday of the month. The Museum has 15,000 square feet of exhibition space with exhibits divided into five galleries.
Location: 
Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time:
June 2, 2013; 1-4:30 p.m. CT
Admission: 
Free
Sponsor:
South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3458, web: history.sd.gov/Museum

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: 1st Congregational Church of Ft. Pierre
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: June 2, 2013; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: It Happened in South Dakota by Patrick Straub - History & Heritage Book Club
Description: Guest speakers will tell about two of the events that shaped the state’s history: the Verendrye brothers claiming the region for France and the filming of Dances With Wolves. The History & Heritage Book Club is free and open to the public at any time. A monthly commitment is not required.
Location:  Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time: June 11, 2013; 7 p.m. CT
Admission: Free
Sponsor: South Dakota Humanities Council, South Dakota State Historical Society & South Dakota Historical Society Foundation
Contact: Dorinda Daniel 605-773-6006, e-mail: dorinda.daniel@state.sd.us
Additional Comments: The book club meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at the Cultural Heritage Center. Occasionally the date, time, or location my change for a special program. All books are available for purchase at the Heritage Store located in the Cultural Heritage Center and at the Capitol. The History & Heritage Book Club is open to everyone. People who want to join the discussion by telephone are welcome to do so by making arrangements in advance with Dorinda (see above).

Event: Exploration Camp
Description:
For children in grades K-2 for the 2013-2014 school year. Exploration Camp will cover a different topic each day, including: pioneer history, Black Hills natural history, geology, and art. This camp is a short summary of our summer programming. Reservations required.
Location: 
Historic Adams House lawn, 22 Van Buren Ave., Deadwood
Date/Time:
June 3-7, 2013; 9 a.m to Noon MT
Admission: 
$45 for non-members, $35 for members
Sponsor:
Deadwood History, Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, Adams-Mastrovich Family Foundation, South Dakota Arts Council, and many more
Contact:
Chelsie Bauer, Museum Educator, 605-578-1657, e-mail: chelsie@theadamsdeadwood.org for information & reservations; web: www.deadwoodhistory.org

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: 1st United Methodist Church
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: June 9, 2013; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: South Dakota Historical Society Foundation Fundraiser
Description:
Let someone else cook tonight! Dine in, carry out, or purchase a pie or muffins at Perkins Restaurant in Fort Pierre and a portion of the proceeds go to the South Dakota Historical Society Foundation.
Location: 
Perkins Restaurant & Bakery, 217 E. Hustan Ave., Fort Pierre
Date/Time:
June 13, 2013; 4-8 p.m. CT
Sponsor: SD Historical Society Foundation & Perkins Restaurant & Bakery
Contact:
SDHS Foundation 605-773-3458

Event: Pioneer Life Field School
Description:
For youth in grades 8-12 for the 2013-2014 school year. Pioneer Life Field School will give participants a taste of how pioneers lived in the late 1800s. We will camp at the Frawley-Anderson properties for three days and two nights. Students will stay in canvas tents, experience a covered wagon ride, learn about local plants and animals, have a hands-on lesson about historic firearms, create historic pioneer crafts, study astronomy, and more. No electronics (phones, iPods, etc.) will be allowed with the exception of a camera. Camp will start at 8:30 a.m. Monday morning at the Days of ’76 Museum and will conclude Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. at the Days of ’76 Museum with an awards ceremony and ice cream party with parents. Reservations required.
Location: 
Days of '76 Museum, 18 Seventy-six Dr., Deadwood
Date/Time:
June 10 - June 12, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. MT
Admission: 
$100 non-members, $75 for members
Sponsor:
Deadwood History, Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, Adams-Mastrovich Family Foundation, South Dakota Arts Council, and many more
Contact: Chelsie Bauer, Museum Educator, 605-578-1657, e-mail: chelsie@theadamsdeadwood.org for information & reservations; web: www.deadwoodhistory.org

Event: Building Community: Preservation is Place-making - Nebraska Historic Preservation Conference
Description:
Preservation is all about place. Historic places help us define the character of our communities. Our conference theme will explore the relationship between place and memory and the way we can build stronger communities with the places of our past. Network with people who recognize the importance of historic preservation in a community setting the evening of June 13 at a pre-conference reception. Then learn how historic preservation can give you the tools to discover, retain, and enhance your community’s sense of place all day June 14 at the conference!
Location: 
Swanson Conference Center, Metropolitan Community College, 32nd & Sorenson Parkway, Omaha, NE
Date/Time:
Reception: June 13, 2013; 6-8 p.m. CT
                 Conference: June 14, 2013; 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CT

Registration: 
$50, reception & conference meal included; Note: pre-registration required, must be postmarked by May 24, 2013, download registration form here
Sponsor:
Nebraska State Historical Society, Nebraska Department of Economic Development, Nebraska Arts Council, Nebraska Cultural Endowment, Humanities Nebraska
Contact: Information on this conference can be found at nehistpres.wordpress.com/

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: Oahe Presbyterian Church
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: June 16, 2013; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Archaeology Field School at Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village
Description:
Faculty and students from the University of Exeter, England will team up with students, faculty and staff from the Augustana College Archeology Laboratory for two month-long field schools in the Thomsen Center Archeodome. The students will participate in excavations and laboratory analyses as part of an expanding international cooperative research program at this National Landmark site. This program is designed to teach students the techniques of scientific excavation while at the same time giving visitors to our site the opportunity to watch as the students and professors uncover secrets long buried under the soil. Each year the scientists find many new and exciting artifacts.
Location: Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village, 3200 Indian Village Rd., Mitchell
Date:
June 19, 2013, for one month
Sponsor:
Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village
Contact:
Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village, 605-996-5473, e-mail: info@mitchellindianvillage.org, web: www.mitchellindianvillage.org

Event: The Art of Place: Pierre/Fort Pierre 2013 - Oahe Days
Description: Come see artwork inspired by historic places around Pierre & Fort Pierre as part of The Art of Place program.
Location: Steamboat Park, Pierre
Date/Time: June 22, 2013; 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. CT
                 June 23, 2013; 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. CT
Fee: Free

Sponsor: South Dakota State Historic Preservation Office & Preserve South Dakota
Contact: Liz Almlie at liz.almlie@state.sd.us or 605-773-6056; web: history.sd.gov/preservation

Event: Pioneer Camp
Description:
For children in grades 3-7 for the 2013-2014 school year. Students will learn all about the life of a pioneer. They will have the opportunity to learn finger crocheting, make rag dolls, tin can lanterns, build mini covered wagons, and have a day of pioneer-style school. Other activities include gold panning, hiking, and pioneer games. Students will need to bring a lunch every day. Reservations required.
Location: 
Days of '76 Museum, 18 Seventy-six Dr., Deadwood
Date/Time:
June 24-28, 2013; 8:30 a.m to 4 p.m. MT
Admission: 
$55 for non-members, $45 for members
Sponsor:
Deadwood History, Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission, Adams-Mastrovich Family Foundation, South Dakota Arts Council, and many more
Contact: Chelsie Bauer, Museum Educator, 605-578-1657, e-mail: chelsie@theadamsdeadwood.org for information & reservations; web: www.deadwoodhistory.org

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: Capitol Heights Baptist Church
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: June 23, 2013; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Oahe Chapel Ecumenical Sunday Service, host: No service - open for prayer and meditation
Description: Hosted by various local churches, ecumenical services are held at the historic Oahe Chapel every Sunday from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. The Oahe Chapel was established by Rev. Thomas L. Riggs, a Congregationalist minister, and his first wife, Cornelia Margaret “Nina” Foster, to serve as a mission to the Sioux Indians of central South Dakota. The chapel was originally located on the east bank of the Missouri River at Peoria Flats, roughly five miles upriver from its current location. It was moved to its current location in 1964 after construction of the Oahe Dam flooded the original site. The chapel is owned by the South Dakota State Historical Society and managed by the Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, which oversees its maintenance and preservation.
Location: The chapel is located adjacent to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center, approximately five miles north of Pierre on SD Highway 1804.
Date/Time: June 30, 2013; 8 a.m. CT
Admission: Free; Open to the public
Sponsor: Oahe Chapel Preservation Society, Pierre-Ft. Ministerial Association
Contact: Cindy Snow, 605-773-2907, e-mail: cindy.snow@state.sd.us

Event: Custer in Dakota: Last Campaigns of the General
Description:
Presented by Historian Jeff Barnes, this program covers the commander’s three years in the territory, from his Seventh Cavalry march from Yankton to Fort Abraham Lincoln, the 1874 Black Hills Expedition, and the 1876 Little Bighorn Campaign. The program is presented in conjunction with Barnes' book The Great Plains Guide to Custer. This program is made possible by the South Dakota Humanities Council, an affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Location:
Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre
Date/Time:
June 30, 2013; 2 p.m. CT
Admission: 
Free
Sponsor:
South Dakota State Historical Society
Contact: 605-773-3458


July August September October November December January February March April May