Current 2016 Officers:
•The Society’s mission is to collect and preserve artifacts, written histories, and archival of county records as well as preserving historic buildings and creating public interest in our county’s history. Research assistance is available.
President: Arlo Levisen
Vice President: Shirley Zahn
Treasurer: Karen Layher
Secretary: Val Cameron
Curator: Bruce Johnson
Board Members: Joe Holtzmann, Nancy Anderson, Rosie Christianson, Gloria Cooley, Marsha Lundberg, Marge Nowick, Susan Sbei, Daryl Stengel
•The Society operates:
•The museums in Milbank at 3rd St.-3rd Ave. are open from Memorial Day through Labor Day from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. on Sundays or by appointment.
– The Grant County Historical Museum (Old Carnegie Library)
– Historical House and Country School in Milbank
– First Congregational Church in Milbank
– Agricultural and Tractor Museums in Stockholm
– The Brown Earth Indian Church outside of Stockholm
– Dolan-Justice Memorial Museum in Milbank
•At Stockholm keys are available at Alice’s Restaurant on Main St. for the Ag. and Tractor Museums.
•School and group tours are welcome (scheduled in advance)
•The Society, in 2013, reprinted Elwin Rogers' book entitled "For God & Land," about the Brown Earth Indian Church. Copies are available for $10 plus s/h.
•"2016 Brown Earth Indian Church Summer Church Service Program Schedule
– Friday, May 20, 11:00 a.m.: Annual Clean-Up & Pot Luck
– Sunday, June 12, 10:30 a.m.: Elim Covenant Church at Stockholm, with Pastor Marlin Kuper presiding
– Saturday, July 16: Merea Dashiell & Chris Waldner Wedding
– Sunday, July 17, 5:30 p.m.: Countryside Covenant Church at Labolt, with Pastor Mark Chapman presiding
– Sunday, July 24, 11:00 a.m.: Parkview Methodist Church in Milbank, with Pastor Melanie Reiners presiding
– Saturday, August 13, 10 a.m.: Eagle's Wing Baptist Church in Old Agency, with Pastor Jerome Renville presiding
– Saturday, August 20: Erin Berg & Nick Sime Wedding
– Sunday, August 21, 11:00 a.m.: Dakota Presbyterian Churches of Sisseton-Wahpeton, with Dr. Clifford Canku & Pastor Michael Simon presiding
– Saturday, September 3: Erin Olson & Travis Holscher Wedding
•The Grant County Historical Society's Annual Meeting is held the fourth Thursday in October in the Milbank Visitor Center. Dinner is at 6:00 p.m. and the program is at 7:00 p.m. In 2016 this event will be on Thursday, October 27.
For More Information:
Arlo Levisen, (605) 938-4192 (H) or (605) 467-3940 (C) or email@example.com
or Bruce Johnson, (612) 306-7834 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant County Historical Society
PO Box 201
Milbank, SD 57252
Find us on Facebook @ "Grant County, SD Historical Society"