Since its establishment in 2003, Preserve America has encouraged and supported community efforts to preserve and enjoy our cultural and natural heritage. The program's goals include a greater shared knowledge about our nation’s past, strengthened regional identities and local pride, increase local participation in preserving our heritage assets, and support for the economic vitality of our communities.
Preserve America Community recognizes and designates communities that protect and celebrate their heritage, use their historic assets for economic development and community revitalization, and encourage people to experience and appreciate local historic resources through education and heritage tourism programs.
Who is eligible? Municipalities, counties, and tribal communities that take steps to protect and celebrate their heritage are all eligible to apply for Preserve America Community designation.
Why you should consider applying for Preserve America Community designation.
• Your community will be recognized with a White House designation.
• Your community will receive a Preserve America Community road sign.
• Your community will receive authorization to use the Preserve America logo on signs, flags, banners, and promotional material.
• Designation will enhance your community’s visibility and pride.
• Your community will be eligible to apply for Preserve America grants when funding is available.
For more information about Preserve America, please visit the website: http://www.preserveamerica.gov/
If you are interested in applying for Preserve America Community designation, please fill out the preliminary eligibility form and send to:
SD State Historic Preservation Office
900 Governors Drive
Pierre, SD 57501-2217
Or email to: email@example.com
If you have questions, please call the State Historic Preservation Office at 605-773-3458.
900 Governors Dr.
Pierre, SD 57501