In 2022, the State Historical Society received an appropriation from the legislature to renovate the Cultural Heritage Center. Renovation plans include updates to the archives research room, heating and cooling systems, interior lighting, and increased collections storage capacity. Click here to learn more about the renovation!
Archives staff and collections will be relocated during the renovation. Due to this relocation, the archives research room will be closed to in-person research visits after March 10, 2023. We will reopen to in-person researchers in 2025.
During the move to offsite storage, we will temporarily be unable to access our collections. Distance research requests will be suspended until Monday, May 1st. Please contact us after May 1st if you would like to take advantage of our research services. Archives staff will provide access to our collections to the best of our ability.
1. Call 605-773-3804 or email the archives reference desk (email@example.com) to request research services. You may also send a letter to: South Dakota State Archives, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501
2. Please be as specific as possible with your request. What information are you hoping to find? Which collections would you like us to search? Please include specific box numbers, library call numbers, or microfilm roll numbers if you know them.
3. We have many online indexes you can use to find materials, as well as our Library Catalog and ArchivesSpace. For an introduction to ArchivesSpace, check out this video on our YouTube channel. If you have problems or need assistance locating materials, please contact the reference desk.
4. The map collection and glass plate photo collections will be inaccessible for the duration of the renovation.
5. Interlibrary loan services of microfilm will continue during the renovation.
The safety of our collections is our top priority. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you in our newly renovated space.