Transfer Records to the State Archives
Records with a final disposition that includes "Transfer to Archives" or "Subject to Archival Screening" may be sent directly to the State Archives. If you have other records that you think might be of interest to the Archives, please contact Sara Casper (605-773-3780) or Virginia Hanson (605-773-3616).
To transfer boxes of files, audio/video cassettes, photographic prints and slides, and other physical materials:
1. Package the materials, then number the boxes/containers and clearly label each one. Include the record series, inclusive date range, and information about the range of materials in that box.
Secretary's Correspondence, 2010-2012
Subject Files, 2015, A-G
Aerial Photographs, 1962, Dewey and Ziebach Counties
2. Print and complete a Government Records Transfer Form
3. Deliver records and completed transfer form to the State Archives. Depending on the volume and content of records being transferred, the boxes may be delivered by agency staff or through Buildings and Grounds, sent by mail, or picked up by Archives staff on a site visit.
To transfer digital files:
1. Complete a Government Records Transfer Form
2. If you are only transferring a few files, you can use the Digital Dropbox to upload those files (and your completed transfer form!), and submit them directly to the Archives.